New Vampire V2 for the Amiga 600

After a very long wait of about 8 months I finally got my Vampire V2 for the Amiga 600. I wanted to test this beast immediately  and put it in one of my A600's. In the first A600 the board wouldn't stay solid on the processor of the A600 and because of that the Vampire only wanted to run when pressing it with my thumb on the CPU. I also detected a flaw in the A600 that I have to inspect later.

I decided to try it on a second A600 and there the board popped on the CPU and stayed rocksolid. I used the screws of V1 to keep it there. My first impression is that it does not feel as a great improvement from V1 of the Vampire. Figures tell me it is a lot faster though. And it has nice extras: microSD slot (which works but the driver is very buggy at the moment), HDMI port (works good but you have to manage the cable and connector in the cramped A600 case) and 128MB RAM.
A flaw of the board is also that it won't cold boot with a network adapter in the PCMCIA-port. I have to pull it out, boot, use CardPatch and reboot to get the adapter going. V1 of the board has this problem too.

But all in all: a very nice accelerator for the Amiga 600! More to come for the A500/A2000 and A1200. Thanks to the Vampire and Apollo team!

HDMI with VGA-adapter on my Dell monitor:

VIC-20 S-video adapter

Some guy from Germany sells this s-video adapter for the VIC-20. It's purpose is to improve the picture quality of red, cyan, green, yellow and purple colors.

I installed it on the second VIC-20 I've got. The first one doesn't have the VIC1 socketed. It worked OK but The picture wasn't much of an improvement. Maybe that's because of the Revision C of the motherboard (assy 324003). The VIC1 chip isn't in a RF shield but just sitting on the motherboard.

Comparing both VIC's I noticed that the second VIC-20 I've got has not only the two-prong PSU connector, but also the squair characters ont he keyboard keys:

Didn't notice this before and I like it! It seemed to me the case was never opened, although very yellow.

Back from Spain and Portugal

Last two months we have been travelling through Spain and Portugal. We had a good time despite of the weather being not always nice.
We had some difficulties with the van but managed to get home without delay.
A short report of this trip can be found here. (Dutch only).

Replace moulding on Volvo estate's rear door

I recently noticed that the rubber windows scraper on the moulding of the left rear door was loose.

As I had a spare one, I thought I could simply replace it. It proved wrong. Removing was easy, but getting the replacement on was a struggle. I had to dismantle the inner door- and windows handles, upholstery and window rail. The upholstery hardboard was very wet and broken and the rail was rusted.

So I ordered them through the Webshop of the Classic Volvo Owners club. They arrived after a day or two. Replacement was quite straightforward. For the upholsterypanel I had to shorten the staples I had from 6 to 3 mm. Using a sidecutter cutting 3 staples at once proved to be the easiests way.

I also put some plastic sheet between the door and the upholstery panel to keep the water out.

New network device for the Amiga

Crasbe from a1k.org crafted a new network device for suitable for every Amiga computer with OS2.0+.
It's a set of self developped PCB's and some parts that are readily available. There are different versions for A1000 and other Amiga computers. The NIC has a flashchip and can be flashed with the use of an USBasp device.

I have build this piece of hardware but haven't succeeded yet in getting it working.

Eventually it worked by using the plipbox.device version 0.5 in stead of 0.6 as advertised. Deflating the plipbox.device version 0.6 ZIP-file on the Amiga in stead of the PC, finally makes it work with version 0.6!