Leo's weblog

New network device for the Amiga

Crasbe from a1k.org crafted a new network device for suitable for every Amiga computer with OS2.0+.
It's a set of self developped PCB's and some parts that are readily available. There are different versions for A1000 and other Amiga computers. The NIC has a flashchip and can be flashed with the use of an USBasp device.

I have build this piece of hardware but haven't succeeded yet in getting it working.

Eventually it worked by using the plipbox.device version 0.5 in stead of 0.6 as advertised. Deflating the plipbox.device version 0.6 ZIP-file on the Amiga in stead of the PC, finally makes it work with version 0.6!

A600 memory expansion with RTC

I have a A601 memory expansion, but it lacked a clock. I also had a clock module for a different A600 memory expansion. With the help of some guy at Amibay I moved the components of the clock module to the A601 and I now have a memory expansion with battery backed up real time clock!

A600 recap [2]

I have soldered the ceramic caps to the motherboard and it works OK!
Even the blinking Caps Lock is gone. So I'm very happy and even very proud I managed to recap my first Amiga 600.
One more Amiga salvaged!

A600 recap [1]

I bought an Amiga 600 from our local internet market. It was sold as good working. But it did not. Well it booted but the Caps Lock key kept blinking. I don't know why that is, but I decided to first give recapping a go. I ordered a set of caramic capacitors from a1k.org. That's a German forum devoted to Amigas. They offer a ceramic capacitor delivery service for several kinds of Amigas. Ceramic capacitors do not leak. So it should be good for several decades.

I'm not yet that skilled in soldering, but after reading a lot of what others said that recapped their Amiga and looking at some YouTube movies I decided to try it myself. The removal of the old caps is done now and i'm very happy with the result.
First I took every cap head with a pair of pliers and kept turning them slowly in one direction. The little legs broke from the cap and the plastic base with the rest of the legs stayed in place. Wiggling the leftovers broke them from the pads and then I could remove the plastic base. After that I could desolder the legs from the pads and clean the board. Goal is to not rip the pad off the board during this process.

Below I have three pictures with the situation before and after removing the smd capacitors. I did not yet remove the through-hole capacitors as I do not have replacements yet and I want to be able to test the result as soon as I have replaced the smd ones.
As you can see in the first picture, the two caps here are sitting very near some plastic connectors. In order to avoid melting the plastic I had these parts covered with alu foil.

As soon as I have got the replacement caps I will show you the result.

Two capacitors replaced on CD32 mainboard

On an Amiga forum I discovered that two electrolitic capacitors on the CD 32 motherboard are factory installed the wrong way around. It might help shorten the life of these capacitors and get them to leak. Leaking can lead to serious damage to the motherboard. So I opened my CD 32 to see this:

As you can see they don't look very nice: bulged and about to leak.

I took the solder iron and replaced the bad capacitors with new ones, ensuring they are the other way round as shown by the silkscreen. The CD32 still works fine.

CommentList