I bought an Amiga 600 from our local internet market. It was sold as good working. But it did not. Well it booted but the Caps Lock key kept blinking. I don't know why that is, but I decided to first give recapping a go. I ordered a set of caramic capacitors from a1k.org. That's a German forum devoted to Amigas. They offer a ceramic capacitor delivery service for several kinds of Amigas. Ceramic capacitors do not leak. So it should be good for several decades.
I'm not yet that skilled in soldering, but after reading a lot of what others said that recapped their Amiga and looking at some YouTube movies I decided to try it myself. The removal of the old caps is done now and i'm very happy with the result.
First I took every cap head with a pair of pliers and kept turning them slowly in one direction. The little legs broke from the cap and the plastic base with the rest of the legs stayed in place. Wiggling the leftovers broke them from the pads and then I could remove the plastic base. After that I could desolder the legs from the pads and clean the board. Goal is to not rip the pad off the board during this process.
Below I have three pictures with the situation before and after removing the smd capacitors. I did not yet remove the through-hole capacitors as I do not have replacements yet and I want to be able to test the result as soon as I have replaced the smd ones.
As you can see in the first picture, the two caps here are sitting very near some plastic connectors. In order to avoid melting the plastic I had these parts covered with alu foil.
As soon as I have got the replacement caps I will show you the result.
The arrow-down key of my Amiga 1000 keyboard (Mitsumi made) didn't work. So I dismantled the keyboard and discovered that one of the legs of the key was broken. The legs are soldered to the PCB, but are quite easy to remove. The mechanism can then be opened and repaired.
These pictures are not mine. I took them from https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=19761.30
I took the oportunity to remove all keycaps and clean them. I also retrobrighted the housing of the keyboard and the space-bar. They were yellowed a lot.
On an Amiga forum I discovered that two electrolitic capacitors on the CD 32 motherboard are factory installed the wrong way around. It might help shorten the life of these capacitors and get them to leak. Leaking can lead to serious damage to the motherboard. So I opened my CD 32 to see this:
As you can see they don't look very nice: bulged and about to leak.
I took the solder iron and replaced the bad capacitors with new ones, ensuring they are the other way round as shown by the silkscreen. The CD32 still works fine.
At last I succeeded in getting a replacement monitor 1084S-D2! I even got two!
I now have put the inner works of one of them in the black case. And it works like a charm.
I also moved the hinged front panel door after spraying it black.
Majsta has made a fine new Amiga 600 accelerator. It has no CPU but emulates an 680x0 CPU through an FPGA. The card has it's flaws but the core of the FPGA can be updated. It also is open source so other people are trying to improve the core. We will see if that works out.
I have core V1.0 installed. It emulates an 68020 processor and 64MB Fast RAM. Some programs don't work but it's exciting to see new hardware developed.
This accelerator is put together and sold by kipper2k.