The paintjob of the Volvo PV 544 is finished. I am very pleased with the result. I can recommend the guys who accomplished this: Thema in Stompwijk.

It was time to get the PV544 (from 1961) repainted. It has been sitting for more than 20 years in storage without any maintenance. The paint was so dull and I couldn't get it to shine again. So I invited some paint shops to make an offer.

Now, the car is under treatment. The job started in august 2016 and will take several months to complete. I will get this post updated every now and then.

Most of the body, mud guards, doors, hood etc. have the paint be removed and a primer sprayed on.

 

I recently noticed that the rubber windows scraper on the moulding of the left rear door was loose.

As I had a spare one, I thought I could simply replace it. It proved wrong. Removing was easy, but getting the replacement on was a struggle. I had to dismantle the inner door- and windows handles, upholstery and window rail. The upholstery hardboard was very wet and broken and the rail was rusted.

So I ordered them through the Webshop of the Classic Volvo Owners club. They arrived after a day or two. Replacement was quite straightforward. For the upholsterypanel I had to shorten the staples I had from 6 to 3 mm. Using a sidecutter cutting 3 staples at once proved to be the easiests way.

I also put some plastic sheet between the door and the upholstery panel to keep the water out.

Last winter I had some problems with the brake servo on my Amazon. This brake servo is from a brand called Powertune and it is likely to be made in China. The problem was it wouldn't work after the car had some weeks not being used. By applying a strong foot on the brake pedal it would come loose and work again. This winter this also didn't work: it just stopped working at all.

So I went to my local workshop and the mechanic advised to install a new one. He used a Powertune again, because this unit is much cheaper than a genuine Lockheed. This unit would work but with some flaws. It had a retarded reaction on the foot. After applying the brakes firmly the servo would come in but after a second. Releasing the brake pedal it also released the brakes a second or so later. This is very annoying.

So I got in my car to visit the mechanic again, but now it works much better. Not as smooth as it should be but the retarding is almost gone.