Leo's weblog

Repaint job PV544

It was time to get the PV544 (from 1961) repainted. It has been sitting for more than 20 years in storage without any maintenance. The paint was so dull and I couldn't get it to shine again. So I invited some paint shops to make an offer.

Now, the car is under treatment. The job started in august 2016 and will take several months to complete. I will get this post updated every now and then.

Most of the body, mud guards, doors, hood etc. have the paint be removed and a primer sprayed on.

 

Replace moulding on Volvo estate's rear door

I recently noticed that the rubber windows scraper on the moulding of the left rear door was loose.

As I had a spare one, I thought I could simply replace it. It proved wrong. Removing was easy, but getting the replacement on was a struggle. I had to dismantle the inner door- and windows handles, upholstery and window rail. The upholstery hardboard was very wet and broken and the rail was rusted.

So I ordered them through the Webshop of the Classic Volvo Owners club. They arrived after a day or two. Replacement was quite straightforward. For the upholsterypanel I had to shorten the staples I had from 6 to 3 mm. Using a sidecutter cutting 3 staples at once proved to be the easiests way.

I also put some plastic sheet between the door and the upholstery panel to keep the water out.

Brake servo for my Volvo Amazon

Last winter I had some problems with the brake servo on my Amazon. This brake servo is from a brand called Powertune and it is likely to be made in China. The problem was it wouldn't work after the car had some weeks not being used. By applying a strong foot on the brake pedal it would come loose and work again. This winter this also didn't work: it just stopped working at all.

So I went to my local workshop and the mechanic advised to install a new one. He used a Powertune again, because this unit is much cheaper than a genuine Lockheed. This unit would work but with some flaws. It had a retarded reaction on the foot. After applying the brakes firmly the servo would come in but after a second. Releasing the brake pedal it also released the brakes a second or so later. This is very annoying.

So I got in my car to visit the mechanic again, but now it works much better. Not as smooth as it should be but the retarding is almost gone.

PV544 out of storage

This week I moved the van into storage and the PV544 out of it.
There was some work to do: The indicators were very weak and the windscreen washer did not function at all. As these functions are mandatory at the periodical legal test so I had to repair these immediately. This is a 6V car you know...

I cleaned some ground wires at the battery and the fusebox and all was well with the indicators, but the control light on the dashboard did not work. I tried to repair the flasher but eventually it got bad. So I ordered a replacement, which is also suited for LED's. I may replace some bulbs for LED's if that is going to work with 6V.
The gears in the pump for the washer were full of lime and I had to dismantle it fully to get it functioning again.

CommentList